Co-Craft was a business idea created in my Graphic Design class by my group partner, Zoe Yuan, and I. Our company was a craft-supplies rental company that was aimed towards people age 20+ who were not interested in purchasing large quantities of craft supplies. Although this was not the final logo, this logo design was one of the original mock-ups that I created.
Process & Tools
I started my ideation process with a sketching method, called the Visual Brain Dump. By allowing myself to create anything that came to mind, I was able to take some of the elements, such as the paint and the brush, to begin a more detailed design using Illustrator. By allowing myself not to focus on details, this process allows me to introduce several new concepts in a short amount of time.
Initial sketches I produced for the logo using the Visual Brain Dump method.
I started creating graphics that had a lot more shading and appeared more 3-dimensional. However, I felt this design was too playful and child-like and I wanted something more minimal and modern. I started creating a logo using black and white, to improve on my design contrast and create a logo that was more modern.
The first prototypes I created in Illustrator, following the theme of the pencil and paintbrush from my sketches.
After several mockups, I created a 'final logo' for our company... or so I thought. Although this logo was crisp and modern, I felt it still wasn't aiming towards an older audience and still had many child-like, playful features. Creating a logo that was both modern and catered towards an older audience, yet still creative, became a challenge. I was also admittingly attached to the aesthetic of the logo, however, I knew that it wasn't working in terms of our company objective.
Document and business card mockups I created using Photoshop.
Solution & Reflection
One of my original prototypes that was used as a reference for our final logo.
My partner and I decided to create a new logo together; one that incorporated the creativity of a paintbrush, but was more modern and simple. We used lines that were sharper and used a typeface that was more rectangular and had less of a curve to it. Still using the brush stroke, we made it more realistic and crisp and less playful.
A prototype created by my partner, Zoe Yuan.
Final logo created by Zoe Yuan (graphics), and myself (typography).